We awoke this morning to find that fog had rolled in overnight and we could barely see the other vans in the field. This could potentially mean that we wouldn't be able to cross to Skomer.
At the lodge where day visitors book to come on the island we were told that the boat would only run to take us over and bring the previous week's volunteers back. No day visitors would be going over today.
We unloaded my bag and (very heavy) box of food from the van and then had to carry them up a flight of steps and down a steep slope to the boat. Lee was a trooper; he always seems to end up carrying other people's stuff down to the boat too.
The crossing was character building, to say the least, with the boat pitching badly on the way over. One guest who's staying tonight looked particularly green around the gills!
It's stayed foggy, windy and drizzly all day so we've got straight into the manual labour by cutting back the bracken from the paths! No visitors doesn't mean that we get a rest but I did get a chance to go for a walk to see the puffins before dinner.
So it's been a busy, tiring day. We're off to bird log at 9pm which is the nightly gathering of wardens, volunteers and overnight guests to record the day's wildlife sightings. All I've seen are gulls!
Tonight's pics are mainly of fog, but there's also one of some swallows that are roosting in the toilet!
Even with the fog it looks lovely there. Missing you already Lau, so I just had a bag of popcorn to cheer me up! Let's see some pics of you 'working' as well ;-)
ReplyDeleteCheeky! Can you see all pof the pics? It might be the weak signal here but I can't see them all.
ReplyDeleteYou know you have a house with central heating to sleep in? :)
ReplyDeleteThis is very exciting though; so you're on Skomer volunteering?
Is there a Butlin's on Skomer? Or perhaps a tribute band?
Yes Dan I am aware of the madness of leaving behind my creature comforts, but I appreciate them more when I get home. And there really is nowhere more beautiful on a sunny day
DeleteEven with the fog it looks lovely there. Missing you already Lau, so I just had a bag of popcorn to cheer me up! Let's see some pics of you 'working' as well ;-)
ReplyDelete