It's surprising what a good night's sleep can do for you. I was out on my feet last night after a whole day stood up, and I really wanted my own bed, but I was ready to go again this morning and we had another full day of visitors.
I did one of my favourite jobs this morning; island patrol. It needs no description and you get the opportunity to really look around you. Every day all of the people on the island make note of what they've seen and report it at bird log. So far I've seen nothing but sodding gulls. I was determined that today would be different and it was.
Within five minutes of leaving the farm I saw a short-eared owl swooping around the west meadow. I then counted six seals, including a massive bull seal, on the Garland Stone which is a popular place for them to haul out. There were also two cormorants/shags (I can't tell the difference of I'm honest) next to the seals.
On towards the Wick, where the the puffins live, and I saw pheasants (adult and juveniles), a cinnabar moth (normally nocturnal) and a cinnabar caterpillar. I also saw a fulmar with a chick high up in the cliff at the Wick. All in all a productive day.
I'm currently freezing my particulars off sat on a rock trying to see a little owl that's supposed to be hanging around a gorse bush behind the farm. It's not showing up at the moment though so I might have to put something warmer on and settle in for a while.
Pics below include puffins (again), the cinnabar moth and the views from where I'm sat.
Puffins!!!
ReplyDelete