Yes, lovely people, it's almost time for me to head off to Skomer island, off the cost of Pembrokeshire, for another week as a volunteer warden. This year I'll be there from 24 June to 1 July. I'm hoping for at least a little bit of sunshine, as there's nowhere more glorious on a sunny day (I'm even smiling as I write this as I remember how it looks in the sunshine).
I've been gradually building up my stock of food over the last few weeks and deciding what I think I'll absolutely need for the week (chocolate) and what I can probably live without (that extra potato). The same goes for clothes; highly unlikely that shorts will be an essential wardrobe item (even in the summer the fog and drizzle is never far away) but my hot water bottle will be one of the first things in the bag. My bag for Skomer is usually a strange mix of sunglasses, suntan lotion and waterproofs!
I'll be updating my blog as often as possible so keep checking back for updates and photos and I'll try and keep it interesting. It was really nice to see and read your comments last year, even if I couldn't always post a reply. The signal varies depending on where you are on the island; ironically it's rubbish in the volunteers accommodation so I have to go and sit on a nearby tump and point the phone in the general direction of the sea to write my posts!
I always feel a bit weird before I go to Skomer; not apprehensive but I know I'm not going to see my family for a week and part of me starts thinking "I don't want to go", but I know as soon as I get there and we settle into our routine for the week I'll enjoy it. I do miss everyone very much while I'm away, and this blog is a way for me to record things that I'd otherwise forget to mention when I get home.
Speak to you all soon
No comments:
Post a Comment