Tuesday, 12 July 2016

People and puffins

Let's try this again, shall we?  I don't know what happened to last night's blog but it had a right tantrum.

Today has been really busy as we've had the first day visitors since Friday. That's 250 people wandering the island. On visitor days we work in teams of two and our tasks are split between morning and afternoon. So this morning we cleaned the guest accommodation ready for the new overnight guests and then headed down to the Wick which is the best place to see puffins up close. I'm paired with Elana, an American who's living in the UK for three years while her husband is on a work placement.

We take a telescope with us and try to find interesting things to show the visitors when they arrive. Today I found a fulmar with a chick high up on the cliff. It got busy very quickly and you have to make sure that knees, hands and bags don't accidentally find themselves resting on the burrows as people try and take the perfect shot. We also keep an eye on the puffins as they won't cross the path if there are two many people and can get a bit stressed so we ask people to give them plenty of room.

After a quick lunch we headed down to help get people back onto their respective boats. I love that job as you get to speak to people who've had the most wonderful experience and have often waited a long time for it. A visit to Skomer is on a lot of people's to do lists.

Not many photo opportunities today but I realised that I haven't yet posted a puffin photo, so there's one below!

3 comments:

  1. I never knew puffin burrows had house numbers! I'm one of those people who would love to go to Skomer too.

    ReplyDelete