Mondays on Skomer can go either way as there are no visitor boats. This usually means a day of hard labour for us volunteers, but it also gives us a bit more free time to go and visit our favourite spot or look for a particular resident. I like Mondays as we all know what a people person I am...
Today was great as it happens. We had a few hours of path clearing in store but a lot of them have been done in recent weeks so they're not as bad as they've been in the past. Before that though we watched as a moth trap from last night was checked. Many people don't realise but there are far more species of moths in Britain than butterflies, and often they're a lot more interesting. Check out my facebook page for the photos.
After our shift finished (about 2:45) we all went out separate ways around the island and I met up with three of the other volunteers to go for a swim. Despite it being a nice day the water was a bit chilly. Hazarding a guess at the temperature I'd go with "Baltic". It took my breath away when I got in but once the numbness from the neck down wore off it was actually quite pleasant. There were a few jellyfish bobbing around just before we got in but they'd bobbed off by the time I eventually got in (it took a while). It was quite nice being in the water with the puffins and razorbills.
On my way back to the farm I saw a short-eared owl flying around. They're not commom in Wales and with about 5 breeding pairs Skomer has about a quarter of the Welsh population.
Sadly there was a casualty at the Wick (one of the puffin colonies) today as the first puffling to show itself outside a nest this year was promply eaten by a great black-backed gull. It's not all sunshine and roses on Skomer.
Back to having visitors tomorrow and I think the weather's about to turn too, but hopefully it won't be too bad.
Ah poor puffling... pesky good for nothing gulls!
ReplyDeleteAnd watch out for those jellyfish!
I had it on good authority that they were harmless jellyfish
ReplyDeleteAh poor puffling... pesky good for nothing gulls!
ReplyDeleteAnd watch out for those jellyfish!
Poor puffling! Do they normally start coming out this early?
ReplyDeleteI was assured before jumping into the water that the jellyfish, even if they stung, weren't bad. I figured it was worth it to swim with the puffins. How utterly amazing!