Saturday, 24 June 2017

It's like I've never been away

We camped at the farm nearest to Martin's Haven last night. It was blowing a gale when we arrived so pitching the tent was fun. Lee announced several times that he "hates camping" and is "too old for this s#@*". I  didn't think I'd sleep at all as it was like being inside a carrier bag with the tent flapping around. I did sleep thpugh and we headed down to the boat for 8:30.

There were two large groups of photographers coming onto the island, one was a day group and the other group is here until Tuesday.

All of the volunteers this week are old hands so there was no breaking-in period; we dumped our kit and were straight into the jobs!

I was on island patrol first, which normally involves walking around the island but this morning we were asked to patrol a specific area as Skomer has gained even more celebrity status this year due to the appearance of a leucistic puffin. This basically a white puffin. It's not an albino as it has the usual coloured beak and coloured eyes, rather it means that the feathers have very little pigment other than a few black patches. It's been in the Telegraph (full of factually incorrect details) and Springwatch have posted about it too, so the first thing a lot of people ask is "where's the white puffin?" Unfortunately it's made it's home near a narrow stretch of path so people are hanging around trying to get a look and causing chaos. I was dispatched to go to that part of the island to make sure people weren't getting into places they shouldn't be to get a photo of this blinkin' puffin (I've christened him Larry). I'm not clever enough to save a photo of him off the internet and post it on here but rest assured my mission this week is to get you a photo of Larry.

The weather picked up at about 5pm so I sat outside to have my tea, it doesn't get any better. See you tomorrow

P.S For some reason I can't publish photos tonight (the joys of technology) so I'll put some on facebook instead

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait for next installment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put a pic of Larry on Facebook and tagged you!
    (I'm halfway through my chocolates that you left for me thanks babe) xxx)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put a pic of Larry on Facebook and tagged you!
    (I'm halfway through my chocolates that you left for me thanks babe) xxx)

    ReplyDelete