Thursday, 16 June 2022

Porpoise and peregrines

To illustrate how much we walk during "Skomer week", my lowest step count so far this week has been 15,000 steps. I normally do about 10,000(ish) on a good day at home. I normally only get up to these numbers when I run. 

Stuff wot has happened today:

I spotted some harbour porpoise off North Haven while I was on morning boats. They're tricky to spot as they're only small (adults are about 1.8m in length) and they don't breach fully out of the water, like dolphins and whales. They just sort of half-breach and it looks like half a tyre with a little trianglular dorsal fin. 

I was on island patrol this afternoon, and saw lots of lovely things - a peregrine falcon, some raven fledglings, a buzzard, and 19 seals. No short eared owl yet, though.

Also, the porpoise we saw last night were actually common dolphins. Some researchers with better binoculars than us had seen them too. 

I think some people are going out to look for/listen for manx shearwaters tonight, but I'm getting to my last reserves of energy, now, and I need whatever's left for another full day of visitors tomorrow. I'm going to be horizontal for a day when I get home! 

Nos da xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment