This morning we had a bit of rain, which was very welcome after the heat of the last few days. It wasn't heavy and it was still quite warm but I was still happy to see it.
This morning I was at the Wick, which is the biggest puffin colony on the island. It's nice to go in the morning as it's nice and peaceful until the first visitors arrive. We only had one whinger but apparently he comes regularly and always finds something to moan about. Today's was the fact that it's very rough terrain (which he already knows) and what would happen if he broke his ankle! You can't win them all!
This afternoon we were on boats, helping people back onto the Dale Princess, the boat which brings visitors to the island. There were quite a few young children on the island today and they've always got lots of questions, like "what colour is puffin poo?"
One little girl fancied herself as a volunteer and was helping take tickets from people as they went down to the boat. She was four and far less trouble then some adults! The boat skipper also offered me a summer job on the boats next year, so I must have done something right!
No decent wildlife spots today, although I did see an adult Shearwater at the Wick. It came out of a burrow, briefly, before disappearing. It's unusual to see them in the day so we'll mention it at bird log this evening.
I don't think I put any photos up on Facebook last night so tonight will be a bumper edition.
We're expecting rain overnight and into tomorrow and the wind is expected to change direction and become stronger so we'll see what happens by the weekend. Some early discussions about whether we'll get off the island, but a lot can happen between now and Saturday.
Also, I got pooed on by a puffin today.
So, what colour is puffin poo?
ReplyDeleteIt's mostly white.
ReplyDelete😁
ReplyDelete