No-boats-Monday doesn't mean we get a day off. We use the day to do other jobs that are needed. Some are ok, some are grim.
Today started with the grim task of cleaning the poo chutes in the compost loos. I'm not joking. This involved a pair of overalls, gloves and what looks like a very long-handled toilet brush. Guess who ended up with that job.... Rob got a video of me doing what has been christened the "toilet twerk" and took great pleasure in showing the island staff.
After the joys of the compost loos we headed out to cut down a large patch of rosebay willowherb. We had to pick our way through thick bracken off the main paths to get to it, being careful not to step on any burrows. We made huge inroads into it and almost cleared it all.
After lunch a few of the others went for a swim in North Haven, which is where the boats normally come in. I didn't go in as I know just how cold that water is! One of us had to stay on the side anyway, for safety. There's been a Canada goose hanging around there for the last few days and every time anyone goes down near the water it comes over. It didn't stop them all going in though.
After lunch there was a bit more path clearing to be done and then our time was our own.
It wasn't a bad day for spotting things as I saw a peregrine falcon on one of the cliffs and some adult wheatears feeding their young.
We all went down to the Garland Stone, which has been renamed the Skomer Arms, tonight to watch the sun set. There were loads of puffins about and they were very interested in the bottle of gin that we had! I got some nice shots on my big camera.
Back to having visitors tomorrow, plus there's a changeover in the hostel so lots of carrying other people's stuff up and down the steps.
Cleaning the poo chute???? 😱🤢
ReplyDeleteYup. Got to be done? I'll show you the very unflattering video of it when I'm home.
ReplyDeleteOoooh... I look forward to it!💩🤢
ReplyDelete😂😂😂