It's been a really quiet day on the island today. The weather forecast wasn't great so I think that put a lot of people off and we only had four boats coming over and three going back (we joined two together).
I had to rescue a Manx Shearwater on my way down to the boats this afternoon. Two visitors told me there was "an injured bird" on the path and I realised what it was. They're basically gull food if they're out in the open so I had to get it back in the bracken. They've got vicious beaks though and they're feisty so I had to put my coat over it to keep it quiet while I scooped it up and let it go in the bracken. I hope it had the good sense to stay there until tonight!
There was also much excitement when a new scythe arrived on one of the boats this afternoon (yup, it was a slow day). We're down to one scythe at present which makes maintaining vegetation difficult at best so having two will make a big difference.
At the moment it's looking like I might have to stay on the island until Sunday as the wind direction is due to change tomorrow and the wind speed is supposed to pick up. So we'll be on weather watch for the next few days.
No comments:
Post a Comment