Monday, 1 July 2019

The blog is back!

This can only mean one thing; I'm off to Skomer again. This year I'll be there from 6-13 July.

I know I said last time that I might not go again, but this year a cunning plan has been set in motion by a few of the regular volunteers. We've managed to wangle a week on the island together by being completely blatant in our applications and saying who we wanted to be on the island with, and putting down the same dates as each other! 


This means not only do we know who we're bunking in with, but the island staff know that they've got a group of people who are already familiar with each other, and the workings of the island, and who can get on with things as soon as we arrive. 

So the preparations have begun in earnest in the last week. A discussion on the WhatsApp group confirmed that lots of cake will be needed, so I spent the last weekend making banana bread and starting to buy food. It's quite a challenge deciding what to take as you have to decide in advance what you're going to want to eat for your tea next Wednesday.  There are some obvious essentials (chocolate and cider) but otherwise I aim for substantial meals that will give me the energy to walk up to 6 miles a day, climb the 87 steps to the island a few times during the week and which will fill me up after a day walking the island. You also have to take some spare food in case the weather doesn't allow us to come back on our allotted day. 

This week will be taken up with checking I have all the kit I need and dusting off the waterproofs and suntan lotion (both equally likely to be needed) and packing my clothes and food. 

I'm not sure if I'll be able to upload photos this year - the signal isn't always strong enough - so here are a couple from past years, to remind you what keeps drawing me back, and because you can never have too many photos of puffins :)










3 comments: